On October 31st, 1750

It had been five years since great grand mama L’wanna had passed at the age of 108. As I gazed out the window, an incessant tapping as if a message or call to come forth. I thought it was a bird’s beak, ever tapping, but it was a birch branch hitting the window as the wind howled from an oncoming storm.

Peanut was now very old, perhaps over 60. Great grand mama had asked on her deathbed that he be well cared for. Now listless, often moving wobbly on his paws, his sire-lings ever present to guard him as he slept. Peanut had been gifted with unusual long life. The length of which was rumored to have been witchcraft, but that was nonsense. All who know him and my ancestor, the Contessa, beloved L’wanna knew better.

As the tapping continued into the night, I saw out of the corner of my eye, Peanut’s head rise and turn toward the door. As if with new life and rigorous strength, he moved slowly toward it. I hesitated before turning the door knob, as I knew he was feeble and would have difficulty, but he gazed at me and blinked his third eye, now white from age. I knew why he wanted to go.

I put on my red coat, the one that was given to great grand mama by the Old Lady Of The Tree. L’wanna left me the coat. She said “you have inherited the gift that gave me the sight. The red coat is now yours Lucinda, you who look so much like my mother, Esmeralda.”

I opened the door, and Peanut, surrounded by the eldest of his sire-lings, moved out the door following him as he slowly took one step after another. I followed. Other cats came out of nowhere, as if to acknowledge the presence of some great spirit that was now passing in their midst. None of them uttered a sound, but followed as Peanut kept moving on down the road, past the birch trees and toward the place I instinctively sensed he meant to go.

Over a mile he walked, followed by a great procession of cats. Some with three eyes, some with two. Finally he turned toward them and they stopped, front legs stretched, heads bowed. They all moved aside so that I could pass to the spot where Peanut waited. The boundary of the family cemetery where L’wanna slept. A simple stone of white granite with the crest of our family and the inscription: “Here lies Llwaxanna Goochie Von Bogg Stuppor-Loveless Von Bralispth.”

3eyedpeanut_v1Peanut moved toward the grave then layed down with his head towards the stone. As he did, he became still. I heard a sound, turned to look at the procession of cats behind. When I returned my gaze to the grave, Peanut was gone.

Every year, on October 31st, someone from the town claim to have seen a red cloaked young woman carrying a silver coated kitten in her arms through the woods, near the cemetery. Perhaps its great grand mama L’wanna and Peanut, the three eyed cat.

So wrote Lucinda Llwaxanna Harrisburg-Smith in her diary, on October 31st, 1750, the great granddaughter of Contessa Llwaxanna Loveless Von Bralispth.